Friday, January 20, 2012

Be Prepared.

I feel like I lived a slice of movie greatness yesterday for those of you that have seen Planes, Trains, &nAutomobiles.  Flight was scheduled to depart Punta Gorda Regional Airport yesterday at noon. Significantly abbreviated version -  mechanical problems -rescue plane called in - 5 hours later, the "rescue plane" is still not even on it's way to us.  Them using the word "rescue" felt like calling 911 and hearing," Yes, so you're injured and stranded; you will be "rescued" in 7 hours by a paramedic that is unreliable and off-duty."

So, I'm in a small regional airport, cafe is closed.  So I decided I was going to be determined to make the best choices possible.  There is a snack bar, and the nearest restaurant/grocery store is a 30 minutes and a $50 cab ride away. I thought I was prepared with my 2 hard boiled eggs and  sliced veggies. As it turns out, what was my lunch, and I was not prepared at all with an emergency food source!  Yes, I was UNPREPARED to travel.  
I found myself brushing salt off of snack pack cashews, and peeling the deli turkey off of the pre-made sandwiches, and rationing protein bars.  There wasn't a vegetable to be found.   The airline was nice enough to bring in Pizza Hut pizzas.  All you can eat, mind you.   Temptation!  TEMPTATION!   So NOW I'm sitting in a small terminal, like "don't bother to speak into the tinny microphone" small, smelling pizza and watching other "rescue plane" hostages enjoy drinks and free food, my stomach is doing circles from eating 3 protein bars that contained sugar alcohols (good for keeping blood sugars in check, bad for a digestive system).  It actually said on the label to please consume 8oz of water with this bar in order to avoid intestinal discomfort.  I drank 30 oz of water per bar, and still, predictably, satisfied their prediction of discomfort. 
Another abbreviated part - I got a refund on the flight - I learned to be prepared.  


Emergency snack ideas to have in a briefcase, glove box, carry-on bag, purse, pocket, refrigerator, road trip bag (ever tried to find a healthy snack in a gas station?! - YIKES) or desk drawer:

Nuts (raw, unsalted)
Apple.  Yes, nature's simplest, ready made, prepacked no-heart-attack snack. 
Dried Fruits (no sugar added) - Prunes, rasins, apricots
Sliced Bell Peppers and Carrots (pallatable at room temp, will last a few hours unrefrigerated)
Protein Powder as you can usually find a cup and some water (low sugar/high fiber- no crazy stimulants - like this Protein Powder)


So yes, it may take some getting used to; this idea of having food on you at all times, but if you want there results, and you want the body, and you never want to find yourself in a situation where you're only option is to forsake your healthy body, then be prepared, be the winner, be strong and make the decision that is best for your body.  

Oh yeah, and GET UP AND MOVE YOUR MASS TOO!  

No comments:

Post a Comment